Monday, September 26, 2011

What's in your oven?

Today before Rhett and I took a date day to Acme for oysters and beer at lunch during school hours I took some chicken out of the freezer to defrost for dinner. I came home and realized I really had no plans lol I grabbed a southern living cookbook that my mother-in-law gave me as a gift and looked up chicken in the back and when I turned to the page I found a recipe for "white BBQ sauce" I had never even heard of such a thing so I thought well if it sucks then there is pizza in the freezer lol so I made a batch and I didn't LOVE the sauce as the recipe called to make it so I added some extra sugar and a few other spices like a couple shakes of onion powder and of course garlic powder because I don't cook anything without it.  It came out pretty good. I put my chicken in a glass dish for baking and I just poured the BBQ sauce over it. I put the timer on 40 minutes at 375 and started on some side dishes I went to the garden and picked a handful of okra (it wasn't enough for a pot alone so I had to grab some out of the freezer from dads garden that he gave me and I froze a few months ago) and I added a can of tomatoes to that. That is one of my favorite side dishes its easy and flavorful. I use the canned tomatoes that already have seasoning in them so there is nothing I have to add. I also made a pot of pasta for a pasta salad with a little olive oil and seasoning and Parmesan cheese. By the time this was all done the chicken timer was going off and I was hoping it would taste good. IT DID! Success! So we had a well rounded dinner. I love when my dinner plate is colorful We had red and green and the pasta was the kind that is also colorful lol so it was perfect for us.

No comments: