Thursday, September 22, 2011

Couponing 101

O.k. so tonight alone I had two friends from years ago say that they want to learn about couponing (I can't ever decide if I want to say "Q-pon" or "coo-pon", it changes by the hour) and weren't sure where to start. Well here is your answer my friends. The first thing you will need is a binder, I wanted one of the zipper variety so that all my coupons didn't fall out all over the place since I know I usually am not walking in or out of the house without my arms loaded (and typically dropping stuff along the way) but keep in mind any binder will work. If you have one laying around the house with stuff in it that you haven't looked at in a year, throw all that stuff away and voila you have a coupon binder. Next you will need baseball card dividers, I didn't already have these at the house so I went to Wal-Mart and bought them I think they are around $5.00 for a 50 pack ( I got two). The card dividers were located at the register section that is dedicated for the sales of baseball/trading cards. Next you need a pack of dividers (or two or three) cheap ones are what I use. If you want to wait on this part that's o.k. too. The last thing you need is a Sunday newspaper.
Now once you have the first three things and you are waiting on Sunday to get here so you can buy your first paper you should get your binder together. This is the one part that takes the longest I promise. After you have it all together it turns into an amazing game of how much money will I save this week! So, you need the dividers to separate your coupons to make for easy shopping. You will love this part when it is finished I promise I am so glad I did it! I don't think I will ever not be a couponer again, in fact I beat myself up for not doing it years ago lol. You want to set your coupons up as the store you shop at the most is set up. You can usually get a listing of the aisle number and what goes down it if you contact your store (I did not do that) I just did it from memory of how I shop at Wal-Mart. So that is the list I will give you. I may be missing some because I am doing this from memory right now. It seems like a lot but the concept is that you have a section for each aisle so that you go down an aisle and you turn to that section and you have all your coupons that match the products on that aisle at your fingertips. You can consolidate as you see fit for yourself. Tomorrow I will check this list against my binder and verify (I keep it in the car in case I need to grab something unplanned)
Start at the Pharmacy
-medicine
-vitamins
-oral care
-shaving/deodorant
-hair care
-feminine hygiene
-lotion/sun care
-soap
-beauty
Next I move past the toys (I always stop in and look through for clearance deals that will be great to put away in the "toy closet" then Santa, the Easter Bunny, and Mom are ready for holidays and birthday parties. I go upstairs and bring down two or three items and ask Rylan to pick out 1-2 for his friends birthday. They get a cool gift I get a cheap price plus there is no rushing out to the store to pick a last minute gift.
Then on to the dry goods
-baby
-pets (I don't have a pet but I still collect these because if I can score something for free then I will donate it to a local animal shelter or friend/family member with a pet)
-cleaners
-laundry
-dishes
-stationary
The big part is next Grocery
I always do the dry goods first so all my cold items don't get warm before getting them home
-condiments
-drinks
-pasta
-rice/sides
-breakfast
-granola/fruit bars
-salty snacks
-baking
-soup
-paper goods
-candy
-dairy
-refrigerated items
-meat
-freezer
-produce
-bread
-misc.

Now once you get that all ready grab your scissors and wait for Sunday. I'll be here too if you need any answers as to what coupon goes in what section, tomorrow I might give some examples of what to put where. I cut out ALL the coupons that come in the paper and let me tell you why. You know that little old lady you see that lives down the street? I bet she might use or know someone that uses dental glue stuff or those depends, if I get them free then I'll bring them down there and offer them to her and I bet that will make her day (I haven't been able to do that yet lol)
.....More to come

No comments: