Monday, July 16, 2012

Best Roast Recipe I've ever used!

Last night I used a mixture of recipes that I found that I liked to create my own. I wish I would have taken pictures of the crock pot because it was soooo good and even looked pretty :) Here is the recipe of everything I put in the crock pot.

2-4 lb. bottom round roast
1 lb red potatoes (I measured one pound then added one more b/c I like potatoes)
1 package of mushrooms (I buy them whole then cut myself to save a few pennies, I like them quartered)
1 package of baby carrots (16 oz.)
1 can of sweet peas (I wanted to use frozen but I was all out)
1/2 of a sweet onion
1/2 of a yellow onion
4 cloves of garlic
3 stalks of celery
1 jar of diced tomatoes (no salt added) (could use 16 oz can)
1 pack of ranch dressing/dip mix
1 pack of onion soup mix
1 pack of brown gravy
1 beef bouillon cube

I probably could have browned the roast first but I didn't (to be honest it wasn't even all the way defrosted when I put it in the crock pot). I quartered the potatoes and the mushrooms and added them to the crock pot first. I chopped the onions up and added them (not too small and not too big) I diced up the garlic and celery and added all of those to the pot. I placed the roast in the middle with some veggies under it so it wasn't resting on the bottom. In a bowl I mixed up the ranch packet, onion soup mix and gravy packet really well. I dissolved the bouillon cube in water as directed in the instructions on the package (8 oz of boiling water) and poured that over the veggies on the sides (not over the meat I don't know why but I thought it should go on the sides only lol)  then sprinkled the dry ingredients from the bowl over the meat and the tops of the veggies. I didn't start making my roast until around noon so I cooked it on high for around 5-6 hours.  I tried to stir up the veggies about half way through to make sure they all got cooked in the juices really well. I wish I would have planned a little better and been able to cook it on a low setting for longer because I think the meat would have been even more tender. It was so good. I made some brown rice to eat the gravy that comes from the veggies juice and dry mix (mmmmmmmmm!) I also cooked some cornbread which Rhett used to soak up some of the juices too and said it was amazing (I was excited that Rylan thought it was his desert and he thought I was awesome for letting him eat it first) I just ate my like a normal person haha. I hope you will try this easy recipe I'm sure you will not regret it.

No comments: