Friday, July 13, 2012

Bean Soup

Yesterday I decided that I needed to put all of these left over wedding favors to use... last year when we got married I made edible wedding favors, bean soup (basically 7 different dried beans in a jar) and cornbread and cookies and salsa too. I didn't get any cookies in a jar back, go figure and the salsa was all gone too (good choice people, I can't even keep the stuff in the house since my hubby will eat every single bit of it faster than I can make it) so I have all of these jars of beans and cornbread to make before they go bad, I don't even know if beans and cornbread go bad since they are all non perishable items. Anyway I searched for a bean soup recipe for the crock- since  a friend tried the bean soup with the recipe that was on the wedding favor jar and said it was not very flavorful. I also wanted some veggies in it. I found one that looks and smells amazing today since I already have it simmering in the crock pot. It calls for red pepper and regular pepper but I didn't use either since I got "hot" sausage that was pretty spicy last time. I also found some other recipes to use the beans for that I will be updating you on so if you want to make some inexpensive dinners then you can try these out too. I needed the jars when my dad gave me pounds and pounds of tomatoes that I didn't want to go bad so I dumped all the beans into a giant zip-loc bag and now I will be just scooping out what beans I need until they are gone. Now that it has almost been a year I can't even remember what all kind of beans are in here... I see red beans, black beans, lentils, chick peas, Lima beans, what I think are black eye peas, and some other tiny sort of bean lol.

No comments: